The curriculum committee of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is comprised of faculty and students who work together to fulfill the charter of this committee to monitor, govern, and maintain the currency of the four-year curriculum. There are students elected from each class who are voting members of this committee. This committee was charged in 1993 as shown below.
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Charge to the Curriculum Committee
The UPSOM Curriculum Committee, as a standing committee of the faculty, monitors the broad scope of the curriculum and implements and oversees all planned curricular changes. In addition, it serves as a forum to review and approve course proposals, to study special issues and problems, and to report to the faculty on curricular issues. In fulfilling the above, the curriculum committee will:
- Establish general educational policy for the School of Medicine
- Set educational goals and objectives
- Assess courses, clerkships, student evaluation procedures, and faculty performance
- Initiate and review proposals for new courses and clerkships
- Consider student grievances about curricular issues
- Consider faculty grievances about curricular issues
- Determine the appropriate sequencing and scheduling of courses and clerkships
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the curriculum
- View the four years of the curriculum as a whole to achieve vertical integration
Educational Objectives of the MD Curriculum
The curriculum of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is intended to foster the development of the competencies that the faculty considers to be essential for attainment of the MD degree and for graduates to enter the next stage of professional training.
LCME & Accreditation
UPSOM was most recently accredited by the LCME in 2019. The accreditation process includes a comprehensive self-study process as part of the preparation for a site visit by a team of external reviewers. UPSOM, including the Office of Medical Education and Curriculum Committee, conducts on-going review and revision of the school’s educational programs and related processes.